Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Eye Exam and Other News

So. Last week, on Thursday, I got my first ever real adult eye exam. My distance vision hasn't been as sharp as it should be for a few years, so since I have health insurance, I figured it might be a good idea to finally cave and get some glasses. If I knew how utterly horrifying an eye exam can be, I would have done without glasses for a few more years.

I went in figuring I'd get nothing more than the old, 'better, or worse' multiple lens test. I got that. Unfortunately, that was not the end of things...

Once the eye doctor had determined just how bad my eyesight is and written down what prescription I need, he decided to poke and prod my delicate eyes a little more. First, he shot a few drops of a terrible ochre colored numbing agent into my eyes. After wiping away the probably skin staining liquid running down my face, he brought over a torture device and made me stick my face into it. This is it:

Once my forehead was pressed against the upper, um, thing, he proceeded to turn on a blue light and slowly draw it closer to the center of my eyeball. This was an abjectly horrifying experience. I was staring straight ahead into weird blue light on the end of a dagger while it centimetered (inched isn't descriptive enough) slowly toward the surface of my eyeball. I kept my composure overall, but my sweat glands did not. I knew that I was in no real danger, but my brain was having a hard time believing itself. I knew that I was administered a numbing agent for a reason, and that reason was that dagger was touching my delicate eyeball. I was a mess.

Once he was finished with the first eye, he moved onto the second one. Same thing that time, the only difference being I was unknowingly backing away slowly. My forehead was no longer touching the top forehead rest thing and he had to ask me to get my head back on it. Continuing my sweating and elevated heart rate, I obliged, but was having trouble keeping my eye open. Not to worry though, the eye doctor used his fingers to pry my eyelids apart and finish up.

Ugh. I feel queasy just writing about it.

Once the torture was finished, he then put more eye drops in each eye. This time, they would dilate my eyes. Once the drops were in, he sent me to choose some glasses while the drops took effect. I don't know if you've ever had your eyes dilated by a doctor, but I couldn't see a damn thing. It was impossible to choose a decent pair of glasses. I only have a vague idea as to what my chosen pair looks like, but luckily Amanda was there to help out. I can't even be sure what color they are.

It was a terrible experience, but at least I will now get a nice surprise when I see my glasses for the first time ever...

Now that that's out of the way, on to business:

I decided last week that if I did not hear back from the bank, I would put an offer in on the other property on Monday (yesterday). John let the seller's agent know that if we didn't hear anything by Friday, we would pursue other opportunities. Friday came and went with nary a peep from the seller's agent. Since I had a bunch of meetings yesterday, I could not get to John's office to sign anything. It would have to wait until today at lunch.

I made my way to John's office in Providence at lunch, with my checkbook (for a good-faith deposit) and letter saying I could get the money if I need to from my mortgage company. I walked into the building, said hello to the receptionist and walked over to John's desk.

I saw that he was on the phone, so I stopped, but he waived me over. He hung up shortly thereafter and informed me that he was literally just talking with the seller's agent. The bank accepted the offer.

Crazy. $65k.

I will be signing a bunch of crap and getting the purchase and sales together by tomorrow. With any luck, we'll close in about a month.

No comments: