Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Breakup(s)

So. I broke up with two Realtors last night, which was surprisingly nerve wracking. I talked to Doreen from Century 21 first, who took it pretty well. She seemed to be a little bummed out, but also seemed resigned to her fate. She came off as a bit of a dour woman, so I'm sure she was pessimistic about her chances.

Michele from Coldwell Banker, however, went a little nuts. I called and left her a message, asking for her to call me back. She finally called back around 8pm, and I broke the news to her. It didn't go well from there. She asked me a million questions, each one more frantic than the previous. I tried to answer them all, and be as nice as possible, but she wasn't having it. It was a mix between her trying to sell me on herself (which she did for half an hour on Monday), and her implying that I made a huge mistake. I thanked her for her time and effort, and finally got to hang up the phone. Amanda was amused by it all.

In summation, the breakups were, surprisingly, a lot like ones from my dating past. For instance, the Doreen call was like breaking up with someone after only a few awkward dates. She seemed to think it was a little too good to be true, and while disappointed, didn't seem all that surprised.

The Michele breakup, on the other hand, was more like breaking up with a girl you've been dating for five years, who is a little nuts. Things aren't going as well as they used to, and the girl (I'll call her Caitlin, because that's my crazy ex-girlfriend's name) is going a little crazy about fixing things and it's only making things worse. She used to focus her craziness on overachieving in college, but is now out of college and has nowhere else to channel that being nuts energy. She drags you to couples' counseling once a week to crap on your for an hour and is a mess at home. You finally try to pull the ripcord on the relationship, but she ends up collapsing at your feet in a defeated puddle of her own tears. The whole process takes a few months to end with any finality, and everyone is exhausted, bitter, and has had a few years removed from their life at the end of it. That, and you had a deaf/blind dog that she wanted, bugged you about taking him via email for awhile, but never actually took him when you offered repeatedly before moving to Providence.

Maybe that's a little dramatic, as it was only a ten minute conversation, but I think it parallels a lot of the above. Michele focused all of her nuts-ness on researching the house/comps (college). She then made a long winded presentation to us to try to strengthen her chances of staying with me (counseling). Finally, when I tried to end it, she tried everything she could to get me to reconsider (defeated crumpled heap in tears). Also, I'm sure she hates me and thinks I'm an idiot (just like Caitlin probably does (definitely does)).

In the end, I'm much happier now, both in my chosen relationship, and in my Realtor. I'll be signing with John McCann today at lunch and the house will hopefully be listed for $249,900 today. I spent an hour or so last night cleaning up a few select rooms to snap some pictures for the listing. I still have a lot of work to do, even in the rooms pictured, but they should serve well for the listing images.

Enjoy.

Living Room:


Huge Second Floor Bedroom:



Kitchen:


No comments: